Skip to main content

Five Ways to Get Rid of Creeps

Well ladies, it's been a while, but I'm back.  I haven't had a lot of things come up that have inspired me to write...until tonight.  This morning, actually.  Yes, when it's one in the morning, and I can't sleep, what do I do?  I write a blog post about women's safety!
They told me in karate class when I was young that there are five basic rules to personal safety.  I still remember the instructor's spiel: "Use my thoughts, use my words, use my legs, ask for help, use my defense."  A karate kid is not supposed to use his moves on another person until he has mentally assessed the situation, and exhausted verbal power, tried removing himself from the situation, and failed to acquire help.
These five basic rules don't just apply to the kids.  We can use them too.  Admittedly, I'm not a trained professional, but I do have a few tips to offer in each of the five areas, to get rid of creepers. Several of them I have used before, and I have found them very helpful.

So let's set the scene.  You are at a party or event, and there's some dude who won't leave you alone. He may have had a little too much to drink, and he's being crazy creepy.  He's dishing you one compliment after another, and it all needs to be knocked on the head before it escalates any further.

Use my Thoughts:

Scan the room.  How many people do you know there?  How serious is the unsolicited attention you are receiving?  Is it necessary to do something right now, or would it be appropriate to give it a few minutes and see if he buzzes off on his own?  At what point will you act?  What is your plan of attack?

Use my Words:

What I love about words is that you have options.  So let's say this creepazoid is bugging you, and all you really need is for him to walk away.

Something I have done before and found very effective is faking illness.  The sensitivity of this tactic is questionable, but it works.  I once had a classmate very loudly address the status of a cough that I'd had for a few weeks, trying to show concern.  He didn't seem concerned to me, but rather wanting to appear sympathetic.  I took the conversation to the next level by telling him that, as a matter of fact, I had throat cancer.  He was taken aback, but when he regained his composure, he simply said, "Best of luck to you!" and he left me alone.  I felt so bad that within 24 hours I ended up telling him the truth, but that was still the last time he made a scene out of any medical condition of mine.

Other considerable options in the realm of illness are to tell the guy you have TB, AIDS, Anthrax, or just a bad flu virus.

A slightly less drastic and more ethical solution would be to make up something outrageously weird about yourself.  For example, pretend to pick something out of your teeth.  Ask the guy if there's still anything noticeable in your smile, and say, "I had a spider for lunch, and the little legs and hairs have been popping up between my pearly whities ever since!"

Use my Legs:

Put distance between yourself and the creep.  Excuse yourself to make a phone call or go to the bathroom.  If necessary, leave all together.  If you need an excuse, they are endless:
  • Family emergency
  • Your grandma's sick
  • You need to go feed your dog
  • Your friend needs a ride home
  • Dorm curfew
  • Another engagement you need to get to

Ask for Help:

There is safety in numbers.  If you feel like this person is following you around, go stand with a group of people you know.  Preferably a mixed group.

My all-time favorite(except for operation spider) is when someone you're uncomfortable with asks you for your number.  It's easy--give him your dad's number!

Use my Defense:

This is something you should prepare for long before you are in the aforementioned situation.  I highly recommend investing in a taser, pepper spray, personal alarm, or a stun-gun.  Also, a few karate lessons won't hurt anyone.  Well, they won't hurt you, anyway.

God bless, ladies!  Be safe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Father's Day Handbook

Not sure what to do for Father's Day?  Here are some simple suggestions. Dinner Pretty much anything barbecued... Hot dogs burgers tri-tip steak ...and don't forget your dad's favorite side dish! Gifts A tie A gift card to his favorite restaurant A mug with the signatures of all his kids Something goofy with an inside joke behind it. Does he like Star Wars?  Get him a light saber! Or a Darth Vader helmet! A framed family photo A scrap-book-style compilation of all his corny jokes DIY Cards Hand made cards are always cherished.  Here are a few of my favorite diy card ideas from Pinterest:       

9 Ways to Cope with Boredom without Using a Screen

As we begin 2018, we all have hopes for a successful, productive year.  New projects, promotions, enhanced resumes, and tight agendas are all in our dreams.  Are we planning to waste time on Netflix, social media, and playing video games?  Nope!  But will we?  Probably. Killing time with a screen is very common in 21st century American society.  It is a trap that we all fall into at times, and it is painfully difficult to get out of.  When we find ourselves with nothing to do, there is a whole in us, and we rush to fill it before we feel its full effect(boredom).  We use our phones, TV's, and computers as fillers to keep boredom at bay, and entertainment comes to us, rather than allowing us to come find it.  As I'm sure we all know, this is not a healthy, or even satisfying coping method.  So how can we avoid it? First off, we need something that involves us more.  Human beings are not made to sit and do nothing.  We are meant to do work.  Obviously, there are times when we

What a Girl Wants

This is a post for the gents.  It's been awhile since I've done one of these, so I thought it was about time to revive them. A lot of guys these days are left wondering what a girl really wants in a guy, and what qualities are universally attractive to women.  Well, here it is gents! We want honor and respect. We are done with cat calls and whistles.  Nobody wants deep down to be treated that way.  Although you will see some girls dressed or acting in a way that does not demand much respect, if a guy respects a girl anyway, without making a big show of it, it strikes a chord.  It reminds her that she has more to offer than what society tells her to flaunt.  It challenges her to a higher standard. We want protection. We want security in the knowledge that we are protected.  Even if a woman is single and not looking for a relationship, it is appreciated if a man will walk her to her car, or intervene if she is in danger.  Especially those of us who have been in abusive r